POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Bouncing Balls - (MPG, 155 KB) : Re: Bouncing Balls - (MPG, 155 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bouncing Balls - (MPG, 155 KB)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 14 Sep 2003 04:26:32
Message: <3f642638@news.povray.org>
They look quiet cute! Nice, bouncy balls!

How dou you derive the spin for the balls? That's
something that has interested me for years, but
I've never found any useful link on my own, from
I which I could understand how to do it. Is your
approach only suitable for spheres, or could it be
applied to boxes, cones etc? Any links?

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> Was looking at Micheal B.'s first post and it reminded me of something I
> did more than ten years ago.  Unfortunatly I lost most of the stuff I did
> on my Amiga since I got rid of it.  I had written a very simple C program
> to animate balls using one of the very first versions of Povray (it
> executed Povray at every frame).  I had made an animation with a bunch of
> frames, then averaged them using an AREXX script in ADPro (Art Department
> Pro) and compiled it into a Amiga animation file using the pseudo-24 bit
> output of my DCTV adapter... ahh memories.
>
> Well, no traces of the animation anywhere but I did find an old copy of
> the source code to my bouncing balls.  It was so simple I tried
> converting it into SDL.  It was pretty straight forward, just needed to
> save all the variables to a file between frames.  I rendered the
> animation and averaged the frames using Warp's TGA averager.
>
> Well, here it is, for my nostalgia almost faithful to the original
> (except for the sky and the soft shadows).  Simple fast code, simple
> collision detection, it actually handles movement in 3D, but in this
> animation the balls are only moving in 2D.
>
> The closest ball has a small inital X velocity and no initial spin.
> The second ball has a greater inital X velocity and a little spin.
> The furthest ball has an even greater inital X velocity and a lot of
> spin.
> All balls are rubber with high friction surfaces as is the floor.
> If your player can play slow-mo, try it!
>
> I'll see what I can do with this old code and where I can take it.  It
> was fun going back in time.  I still don't think my PC is as much fun as
> my Amiga was back then, I don't know why that is.  I must be a jaded
> adult now.

---